If you’re able to handle it again, notes from the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 30-15 loss to the Miami Dolphins.
– Kick return unit. Front five: Sean Davis-L.J. Fort-Steven Johnson-Anthony Chickillo-Tyler Matakevich. Jordan Dangerfield behind. David Johnson/Javon Hargrave/Xavier Grimble as the wedge and Justin Gilbert/Fitzgerald Toussaint the return men.
– Punt coverage. Darrius Heyward-Bey and Gilbert the gunners. Jordan Dangerfield and Sean Davis the wings with Robert Golden returning to his spot as the upback. On the line: Vince Williams-Steven Johnson-Greg Warren-Tyler Matakevich-Anthony Chickillo
– Hargrave false step, out of position for his run fill on this zone run.
– Motion DHB between guard and tackle, serves as a lead blocker with Roosevelt Nix. Nice design.
– Kick coverage from left to right: Gilbert-Dangerfield-Fitzgerald Toussaint-Steven Johnson-Chris Boswell-Matakevich-Chickillo-Roosevelt Nix-DHB-Artie Burns
– Punt return: Gilbert and Burns the jammers. Toussaint-Dangerfield-Chickillo-Johnson-Matakevich-L.J. Fort-Xavier Grimble-Matakevich.
– Alejandro Villanueva at his best when he is the aggressor in pass protection. Makes initial contact, gets in control.
– Big double team here with Chris Hubbard to open a lane for Le’Veon Bell.
– CB blitz forces the ball out hot or else this would’ve been a big gainer to Bell.
– Nice flow and fill be Vince Williams. One of the few good run stops of the day.
– Can’t let the Dolphins complete this pass with the overhang defender and cornerback bracketing. Blah.
– New look from the Steelers. Two three techs. But it allows the center a free release to combo the LDE and the RT to the LOLB. Predictably, no push at the LOS.
– Great work by James Harrison to cross the tight end’s face and crash in from the backside to make the stop.
– Ross Cockrell playing the pocket really well. Breakup. Been strong in coverage. Against the run? Meh.
– I don’t know what this nonsense is. One tech to the weakside, A gap wide open on the Dolphins’ TD. FB dive. Awful.
– Gilbert made two players miss on his kick return right before the end of the half.
– No flat defender here. Incomplete? PIC!?
– Nice penetration by Ricardo Mathews. Forced the cutback.
– The left DE, Mario Williams, unblocked and blows up this entire pin/pull run. Big breakdown.
– Steelers adjusted to the problem they had with their two three techs. Moved Lawrence Timmons directly over center so he couldn’t have a free release. Seemed to help. Good adjustment.
– Ben Roethlisberger forcing this throw to Brown, who has no space and is clearly covered, and misses an open Eli Rogers. Rough day.
– Tyler Matakevich with vision, ability to shed, and make the tackle. Really sound tackler and it was an impressive performance in that regard.
– Hargrave lined up as a cocked nose and able to get penetration to force a cutback. Rallies, good effort, and makes the tackle.