Welcome back to your Friday Five. I’m filling in for Dave Bryan this week while he’s still enjoying a much-deserved vacation.
With rookie minicamp come and gone, the Pittsburgh Steelers will begin their OTA sessions on Tuesday. That’ll run through June 6th followed by a short break and wrapping up with their mandatory, three day minicamp June 11th-13th.
In the meantime, expect things to be quiet on the Steelers’ newsfront for the next couple of days. When the team does get together for OTAs, it’ll be nice to hear from the veteran players who haven’t spoken with the media in months. Of course, all eyes – and microphones – will be on Ben Roethlisberger.
As usual, we have five questions for yinz to answer on this Friday night and look forward to reading all responses.
Peace and love!
1. Let’s assume the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense is on the field for 1000 snaps in 2019. How many snaps will these three plays log on defense? Vince Williams, Devin Bush, and Mark Barron.
2. We had a great discussion about the Steelers issues with undrafted players over the last few seasons. If you could assign one UDFA from this year’s class, who would it be? Here’s a list for reference.
3. Sticking with that, who is the best UDFA in Steelers history? Options include Donnie Shell, James Harrison, Willie Parker, Ramon Foster, and several other names.
4. Tell me who has more total touchdowns this season: Jaylen Samuels and Benny Snell (combined) or James Conner?
5. In his rookie season back in 2007, Matt Spaeth had five receptions. Will Zach Gentry record more or less in his rookie year?
Question 1: Steelers Depot respondents believe Joe Haden is worth $11.3 million per season on a two-year contract extension. There was a range of $4-16 million on his seasonal worth. Those supporting the low side cited his age (over 30) while those on the high side felt he was still competitive and earned a minor increase from the $10 million he is scheduled to earn in 2019.
Question 2: Devin Bush will start 11 games in his rookie year according to Depot respondents. Jeremy predicted Bush not starting the first two games of the season but ending the 2019 season with 17 starts since the Steelers will play in three more games after gaining a bye in the playoffs.
Question 3: 72.2% of Depot respondents state that James Conner will have more than 240.5 touches by the end of the 2019 season.
Question 4: Iandan Woodard was the only Depot respondent to predict the Steelers under 8.5 games in 2019.
Question 5: Yours truly was the only respondent to predict that Ulysses Gilbert III has a better shot at making the initial 53-man roster. Everyone else went with Sutton Smith.
Let’s go folks, can’t be slacking on answering the Friday Night Questions. Any dawdling could have implications on the Steelers fortunes in the upcoming season.