Game notes from last Sunday’s win over the Indianapolis Colts.
– Kick return unit. Slightly different look with a six man front instead of five. McDonald-Moats-Matakevich-Golden-Chickillo-Fort. Conner/Walton/Nix the wedge, JuJu/Watson the kick returners.
– Out of the bye, Keith Butler brought back his over front a couple times. Seemed to be more successful. Also kept Hargrave at the nose and Heyward was always the 3T. So a more simplified version of it.
– Great rally to the ball by Mike Hilton on third down. Peels off man coverage to force Jacoby Brisssett short of the sticks.
– PR unit. DHB-Watson-Nix-Matakevich-Fort-Golden-Chickillo-Wilcox up front. Haden/Burns the jammers.
– Little surprised Ben Roethlisberger didn’t pull the trigger here. Maybe the INT to Martavis Bryant spooked him. Didn’t want to take another chance.
– Punt coverage. Watt-Fort-Canaday-Matakevich-Chickillo. Nix/Davis the wings, Golden the upback. Hilton/Wilcox gunners.
On the third punt after two straight holds, Arthur Moats subbed in for Watt and made the tackle. Good personnel decision.
– In this instance, Hilton carries #2. Unlike what happened on the touchdown to start the second half. Just inconsistent playcalls – don’t get it.
– Le’Veon Bell skinny through the hole.
– TJ Watt can’t spin away from this block. Loses vision, loses his gap. He had his worst game of the season.
And Watt wasn’t much better as a pass rusher.
– Good seals by Eli Rogers and JuJu Smith-Schuster on 3rd and 1.
– Interior and exterior pressure on this extra point block. Lot of problems.
– Jesse James. Eyes down, whiff.
– Disappointed Bell couldn’t get the edge.
– JuJu…fearless. 20 yard reception on third down.
– Lastly, assortment of clips of the Steelers’ DL beasting and feasting.