Game notes from the Pittsburgh Steelers win over the Kansas City Chiefs.
– Kick return unit. Front five: Tyler Matakevich-Jordan Dangerfield-Vince Williams-Arthur Moats-L.J. Fort. Sean Davis behind. Roosevelt Nix/David Johnson/L.T. Walton the wedge, Justin Gilbert and Sammie Coates the returners.
– Hank to start. Got the offense back on track this drive.
– Swing/seam RPO. See it a lot. Maurkice Pouncey pulling here. Pass complete to Jesse James up the seam.
– Ben Roethlisberger pump fakes to move three defenders and throws it behind them all to James. Pass was high but I think that was intentional – had to get it over the sea of hands.
– Pouncey with a great combo block. Double-team, climb, secure the linebacker.
– Kick coverage: Mike Mitchell-Jordan Dangerfield-Sammie Coates-Jarvis Jones-Vince Williams-Chris Boswell-Tyler Matakevich-Arthur Moats-Roosevelt Nix-Darrius Heyward-Bey-Artie Burns
Not a lot of changes here. Mitchell is definitely new, never been on this unit before. Jones flipped from the right to left side and Moats was tossed back on this unit, taking Fitzgerald Toussaint’s spot. JJ took Anthony Chickillo’s role. Other than that, the same.
– Punt return: Robert Golden/Ryan Shazier/Roosevelt Nix/Jordan Dangerfield/Arthur Moats/Tyler Matakevich/Darrius Heyward-Bey on the line. Coates and Burns the jammers.
– Steelers had another busted player where Roethlisberger took off. Twice in two weeks. Gotta clean it up.
– Pouncey talked about how you always have to keep your feet moving when blocking for Le’Veon Bell. Good example here and a great base block against Dontari Poe.
– Fake bubble for the win! Big gainer to James.
– Two back set out of the gun, Bell and Nix. Pretty uncommon to see.
– Javon Hargrave with a strong punch and showing leverage to get under the left guard. Then splits him and the center.
– Cobi Hamilton with a key crack block on Eric Berry. Dig him out and Bell is able to cut back. Gain of 38.
– Starting defense kept out on this punt return for some reason. Guess they couldn’t get off the field in time.
– Roethlisberger moving the linebackers to open the window to Eli Rogers.
– Strong open field tackle by Mike Mitchell.
– Artie Burns again beat on a double-move, sluggo here from the vet Jeremy Maclin.
– Split dig again effective against the Steelers’ Cover 3.
– Daniel McCullers with a flash of power, strong punch into the right guard trying to zone away from him. Gets knocked down and McCullers chases, not allowing the cutback.