Pittsburgh Steelers guard David DeCastro bowed out of the 2020 Pro Bowl due to injury a little more than a week ago and now we know why.
According to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, DeCastro had an ankle surgery procedure performed this past week. The surgery went as well as could be expected, per Robinson, and DeCastro isn’t expected to miss extended time during the Steelers offseason program.
#Steelers All Pro guard David DeCastro had an ankle surgery procedure this week. I’m told that’s why he pulled out of the Pro Bowl. From what I understand, the surgery went as well as could be expected and he won’t miss extended time in the offseason program.
— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) January 18, 2020
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin didn’t mention any players being scheduled to have future surgeries during his end-of-the-season press conference a few weeks ago. He did say, however, that a few players suffered ankle injuries during the team’s season finale against the Baltimore Ravens.
“We’ve had some minor injury and so forth it relates to game 16, ankles and so forth, but nothing that appears to be surgical at this time,” Tomlin said. “So, the rehabilitation element of it is not under any type of a clock. I don’t believe any of those things that happened this past weekend is worth mentioning in this setting from a surgery standpoint. Not any surgery scheduled based on information that we have here.”
DeCastro and his doctors obviously concluded that surgery was needed and thus now it is done and over with. The Steelers first week of OTA practices won’t take place until later in May so that gives DeCastro plenty of time to rehab his ankle.
This past season DeCasrtro played in and started all 16 games for the Steelers. In addition to being voted to the Pro Bowl a fourth time last month, DeCastro also received one All-Pro vote for his play during the 2019 season.