2018 Pre OTAs Weekend: Steelers Friday Night Five Questions

Steelers Depot Friday Night Five Questions

A very happy Friday to you Yinzers out there. Dave Bryan is still around the world in 80 days (he’ll be back Monday) so I’m filling in for your Friday Five.

Pretty boring week Pittsburgh Steelers’ wise coming out of rookie minicamp. The team signed two tryout players – WR Damoun Patterson and OG R.J. Prince. You can check out our report on Patterson with Prince to follow, maybe sometime this weekend.

Next week, the Steelers will begin OTAs, the first time rookies and vets will be on the field at the same time. That should keep us busy with some quotes and maybe one or two nuggets of on-field information. And training camp is only a little more than two months away. So hang in there.

As always, we have five questions for you to answer. this Friday evening. Send your responses in the comment section below. Thanks for stopping by the site.

Peace and love, peace and love.

1. Earlier today, we wrote Jaylen Samuels has been getting work at RB and WR. Tell us the percentages of where he’ll line up at each in his rookie season (Example: 55% at RB, 45% at WR). Also, tell us what percentage of special teams snaps he’ll play in 2018. 

2. Will Antonio Brown ever (not just this year) set a career high in receptions or yards again? His current highs are 136 receptions and 1834 yards. Does he surpass either? 

3. How would you use Cam Sutton in 2018? A starting corner? Backup across the board? Dime defender? Punt returns? Let us know. 

4. In honor of the recent “Under 25” articles, rank the under 25 Steelers (who have appeared in a game) going from the ones who will have the most successful 2018 season to the least.

JuJu Smith-Schuster
James Conner
Cam Sutton
T.J. Watt
Jesse James
Josh Dobbs
Artie Burns
Jerald Hawkins
Mike Hilton
Brian Allen
Sean Davis

5. We all know the unofficial/official Steelers’ anthem is “Renegade.” But if you got to pick a new anthem song for the team, what would it be?

*    *    *    *    *

Recap of 2018 Rookie Minicamp Weekend: Steelers Friday Night Five Questions

Question 1 – Only 28% of respondents believe that rookie wide receiver Quadree Henderson will make the initial 53-man roster in 2018 as the team’s return man. The minority opinion is that Quadree could relieve Antonio Brown from taking the risk as a punt returner. Kick returns have been a weakness and he could bolster the return average. The majority view is that with the deemphasis of kick returns; his small size and the possibility of Eli Rogers returning (pun(t) intended) there is not room for a return specialist.

Question 2 – Only one person predicted L.J Fort would three-peat his performance by leading the team in preseason defensive tackles in 2018. Dirty Red Matakevich was the popular choice to dethrone Fort with 44% naming him. Matt Thomas was next with 20% while Terrell Edmunds & Marcus Allen trailed with 12% each. Jon Bostic and Keion Adams also got mentioned.

Question 3 – Darrius Heyward-Bey (84%) & L.J Fort (64%) were the only ones out of the seven listed players who were on the roster in 2017 that got over 50% of the vote for making the 53-man roster in 2018. Justin Hunter (44%) & Xavier Grimble (48%) have a 50/50 chance according to Steelers Depot respondents. Stevan Ridley (28%); Coty Sensabaugh (24%) and Dan McCullers (12%) are at the greatest risk of not making the roster out of the list according to the respondents.

Question 4 – Matt Thomas with 42% of the vote is viewed as the one player out of the seven draft picks and 13 undrafted free agents that was over-hyped way too much ahead of the rookie minicamp getting underway. Jaylen Samuels was next at 25%. The only other player named was Mason Rudolph named by 12.5%. Over 20% of respondents felt that none of the players were overhyped too much.

Question 5 – Seven of the 19 rookie minicamp tryout players listed in the question were named as having the best chance of getting signed after this weekend. No one predicted R.J. Prince getting a contract but both LucasY59 & James P. Kelly pegged Damoun Patterson getting signed. Excellent job guys! Mike Minter got the most votes with seven followed by Malik Boynton with five. Courtney Love (4), Alek Torgerson, Hunter Niswander & Cameron Tarver also got mentions.

Here we go!


To Top
error: Alert: Content is protected !!