Game notes from the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Wildcard win over the Miami Dolphins.
– Kick return unit. Front five: Al-Hajj Shabazz-Tyler Matakevich-Vince Williams-Arthur Moats-L.J. Fort. Sean Davis behind. David Johnson/Roosevelt Nix/L.T. Walton the wedge. Fitzgerald Toussaint and Sammie Coates the returners.
– Eli Rogers has really improved his YAC ability. 19 yard grab was all YAC.
– Antonio Brown somehow turned this into a touchdown. Kudos to his patience and Jesse James’ block.
– Kick coverage: Al-Hajj Shabazz-Jordan Dangerfield-Roosevelt Nix-Vince Williams-Jarvis Jones-Chris Boswell-Tyler Matakevich-Fitzgerald Toussaint-Sammie Coates-Darrius Heyward-Bey-Artie Burns
– Run defense was outstanding. On this play, James Harrison holds the edge and Walton secures his gap. Nowhere for Jay Ajayi to go.
– Punt return unit: Ryan Shazier-Jarvis Jones-Tyler Matakevich-Arthur Moats-Roosevelt Nix-Jordan Dangerfield-Fitzgerald Toussaint. Artie Burns and Sammie Coates/DHB jammers.
– 3rd down mesh play again. Todd Haley is loving this one.
– Kick coverage that allowed a decent return. Two guys. Same lane. No good.
– Javon Hargrave gets penetration, creates the cutback.
– Return had built a good wall but Toussaint gets caught from behind.
– Ryan Shazier sees the off ball tight end pulling, immediately wants to attack. Probably got him out of his gap.
– Ben’s interception. Throw a little high but catchable.
– Dart RPO. Roethlisberger read something wrong and the play was a bust, though Ben got a four yard gain out of it. But it’s a play we’re seeing quite a bit from Haley this year.
– Le’Veon Bell pressing the defenders outside. Gets a seal from David Johnson, creates the alley, gets upfield.
– Al-Hajj Shabazz has contain, can’t let this kick bounce. Misses the tackle. Main culprit here.
– Hargrave again getting penetration. Had his best game against the run.