Game notes from the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 24-14 win over the New York Giants.
– Kick return unit. Front five: Arthur Moats-Tyler Matakevich-Vince Williams-Anthony Chickillo-L.J. Fort. Sean Davis behind. David Johnson/Roosevelt Nix/L.T. Walton the “wedge” with Sammie Coates and Fitzgerald Toussaint the return men.
– Good bailout by Alejandro Villanueva for Chris Hubbard.
– Punt coverage. Shamarko Thomas and Sammie Coates the gunners. On the line: Vince Williams-L.J. Fort-Greg Warren-Tyler Matakevich-Anthony Chickillo. Roosevelt Nix/Sean Davis the wings and Robert Golden the upback.
– Breakdown, tackle by Artie Burns. Head across, bring the arms, drive through. Well done.
– Nice job by William Gay to carry the wheel in Cover 3.
– Punt return. The line: Nix-Matakevich-Chickillo-Toussaint-Fort-Ryan Shazier-Shark-Justin Gilbert. Coates and Burns the jammers.
– Big play for Jesse James was also a fake screen/swing, which they threw to Le’Veon Bell on the first play of the game.
– Good crack by Eli Rogers. Active run bocker. Appreciate it.
– The HB pass. Rogers was pretty wide open but it’s understandable for Bell not to test it. This concept is what the Cleveland Browns ran last week and got open so that’s why they did it. It was a good idea.
– Thomas made a nice open field tackle on kick coverage and then got hurt. Bummer.
– Nice angle by Burns on this slant, which he didn’t do on Mike Wallace’s 95 yard touchdown. Here, he plays to the upfield shoulder and makes the tackle. Really good job.
– Technique and explosion. Shazier is a rare breed.
– Stephon Tuitt with a push pull of the center to beat him clean.
– Not sure who was supposed to pick up Will Tye on his big catch and run. Hard one to figure out.
– Key blocks on this trap run. David DeCastro with the kickout, Jesse James following up the hole.
– Kick coverage unit: Shamarko Thomas-Robert Golden-Sammie Coates-Roosevelt Nix-Vince Williams-Chris Boswell-Tyler Matakevich-Anthony Chickillo-Fitzgerald Toussaint-Artie Burns-Jordan Dangerfield
– Lawrence Timmons the cagey vet, working off the block.
– Ricardo Mathews has to be able to stay on his feet or he’s going to lose contain.
– OL with a nice pocket for Ben Roethlisberger.
– Marcus Gilbert had a lot of trouble with Jason Pierre-Paul. Punched and beat inside here.
– Nice adjustment by Eli Rogers on this grab.
– Justin Gilbert replaced Shamarko Thomas on kickoff coverage.
– James with a nice block and seal on the SAM linebacker.
– For some reason, Jordan Dangerfield replaced Sean Davis at right wing on punt coverage. Cobi Hamilton replaced Shark at gunner.
– Bud Dupree showed a great first step but you can see the lack of ankle flexion compared with James Harrison. Guess who got to the QB and who got pushed upfield.
– Three man rush and Stephon Tuitt still gets pressure.
– Love how the Steelers wore the Giants down at the end of the game. Gains of 19 and 12 yards on the ground.
– Tremendous blocking all around. Reach by David DeCastro, the finish by Maurkice Pouncey, and everyone else.
– Good combo block by Chris Hubbard.
– Steelers ran a wham block, Rosie Nix working on the one technique, for I think the first time ever under Mike Munchak.