Game notes from Sunday’s win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
– Kick coverage from left to right: Justin Gilbert-Robert Golden-Sammie Coates-Roosevelt Nix-Vince Williams-Chris Boswell-Tyler Matakevich-Fitzgerald Toussaint-Anthony Chickillo-Jordan Dangerfield-Artie Burns
– Steelers switching stuff up, putting William Gay in the box and rolling Sean Davis over slot. Positional flexibility all around.
– Javon Hargrave turned and blown out, Mike Mitchell can’t get off the block. B gap open.
– Nice shed and tackle by Dan McCullers. He had a good game.
– Kick returners. Front five: Arthur Moats-Tyler Matakevich-Vince Williams-Anthony Chickillo-L.J. Fort. Sean Davis behind. On the wedge was David Johnson/Roosevelt Nix/L.T. Walton. Sammie Coates and Fitzgerald Toussaint the return man.
– Coates did a great job of making the first man miss on his 44 yard kick return. Do that and you’re set up for a long return. Not to mention that it was a difference of a good 30 yards.
– Variety on Hank versus Cover 4. Flats open.
– Hargrave still having trouble staying square.
– Artie Burns with eyes in the backfield. Allows separation, gets called for pass interference.
– Punt coverage team. Cobi Hamilton and Sammie Coates as the gunners. On the line: Vince Williams-L.J. Fort-Greg Warren-Tyler Matakevich-Anthony Chickillo. Roosevelt Nix/Jordan Dangerfield the wings, Robert Golden the upback.
– Long kick return. Kick returner went opposite the way the kick was supposed to be covered, didn’t have much resistance.
– Big open field tackle by Sean Davis. Saved four points.
– Ben Roethlisberger missing a wide open Ladarius Green.
– Xavier Grimble took the place of Stephon Tuitt at left wing on field goals. Two new guys on the left side. Him and Daniel McCullers. Makes me nervous for Sunday.
– Domata Peko beats David DeCastro pretty bad here in pass pro. And Peko is a far cry from Geno Atkins.
– Sail concept with the X receiver, Antonio Brown, crossing to the playside. Hits Eli Rogers on the corner route with Sammie Coates clearing things out.
– Strong double-team by DeCastro and Marcus Gilbert.
– Y Mesh with Ladarius Green (Y always sets the mesh). Sets the pick and gets open.