It sounds as if the situation that LSU offensive lineman La’el Collins has been going through over the course of the last week is improving for the undrafted player, who has been trying to clear his name in connection to a double-murder investigation.
According to Jerit Roser of the New Orleans Times Picayune, the Baton Rouge Police Department said Monday that Collins “fully cooperated with investigators and is still not considered a suspect.”
Additionally, Collins’ attorney, Jim Boren, told the same paper that while the investigation of the murder of his pregnant ex-girlfriend is continuing, his client is beginning the process of “getting his football career back on track.”
Collins was expected to be drafted in the first-round of the 2015 NFL Draft that took place this place this past weekend, but all 32 teams chose to stay away from him while the murder investigation was underway even though the LSU product wasn’t believed to be a suspect.
Reports indicate that Collins will not be allowed to enter the draft next year, so the obvious course of action for him next would be to sign a three-year contract with a team as an undrafted free agent.
As I wrote a few days ago, Collins would be wise to consider signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers, assuming they want him.