According to a Friday afternoon report by Adam Schefter of ESPN, LSU offensive lineman La’el Collins and his reps have decided if he’s not selected in rounds two or three of the 2015 NFL Draft he will not sign a contract with a team this year and will reenter draft next year.
La'el Collins and his reps have decided if he's not selected tonight he will not sign a contract with a team and will renter draft next year
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) May 1, 2015
Collins, who was originally slated to be a first-round draft pick this year, went undrafted in Thursday’s first round after several teams decided to stay clear of him as he waits to clear himself of any wrong doing associated with the murder of Baton Rouge woman last week.
Even though Collins is not believed to be a suspect in the murder, he is having to talk to detectives because of his association with the victim who was his former girlfriend.
New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton said during a Friday radio interview with Pro Football Talk that he thinks Collins will be drafted in either the second or third round.
“I do think the player will get selected today but it’s unfortunate, particularly unfortunate in the fact for him there’s nothing but questions that are just wanting to be asked,” said Payton, who also added that Collins is still on the saints draft board as a guard, according to Jim Kleinpeter of The Times-Picayune. “The uncertainty of it creates problems for teams, and first and foremost for the player.”
Collins and his reps asked the league just prior to the start of draft if the LSU product could be removed from this year’s draft so that he could then be eligible for the supplemental draft after clearing his name, but that request was denied.