If you were hoping that the New Orleans Saints would be willing to trade cornerback Keenan Lewis over the course of the next few weeks or months, you can go ahead and stop doing so. After a social media tirade this past week that included Lewis saying he wanted to be released or traded if the final years of his current contract weren’t guaranteed, it appears he has cooled down now and worked things out with the Saints even though they may not have guaranteed the final years of his contract.
“The only thing I know is that I had a meeting and they promised that they never had any plans to let me go,” Lewis said, according to Katherine Terrell of The Times-Picayune. “They said that I was in the plans for the upcoming years. They told me I was going to be part of the plan. We didn’t talk about any numbers, or the contract.”
Lewis, who stated his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, is fine with the way people reacted to his initial tirade on his Instagram account.
“If it had to come out for people to judge me that way, say that I’m being selfish … because I wanted to live my dream, which is to play for my hometown team, I can live with that,” Lewis said.
As for the Friday report made by Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports that suggested the Saints were trying to trade Lewis, the Oregon State product doesn’t know where that came from even though New Orleans made three trades last week.
“I wasn’t frustrated because I have confidence in my coach [Sean Payton],” Lewis said. “He talks to me all the time and he never mentioned anything to me about being traded.”
So there you go, while you can read the full report from Terrell right here, I think you get the just of it. In short, Lewis isn’t going to be dealt and thus the Steelers won’t be acquiring him.
I thought all along that this was unlikely to happen as it doesn’t make sense for the Saints to lose a good player along with salary cap space. Lewis just got caught up in the trade action last week and got scared. He ranted and has since repented.